Okuma Sierra Fly Reel
This is a great reel overall. I rated it 4.5 stars because of the chipping paint issue and the difficulty to get the drag set perfectly. This is a great reel for the money and it truly makes a perfect backup fly reel for back country or trips to rugged areas without the option to buy another reel if yours breaks.
Okuma sierra reels are a great way to get a quality reel with a tough drag system at a super low price. Back in the day I used to own 3 or 4 of these reels in various sizes and I caught everything from king salmon, to small trout on them. As far as cheap reels go, I can’t think of one with a better drag system. You can easily find these reels at just about any fishing tackle store for less than $50 and they are well worth the price.
- Die cast aluminum = lightweight
- Strong drag system
- Super inexpensive
- These reels are reliable and very durable from my experience
- The paint chips off easily on these reels (that doesn’t effect performance)
- The drag system is very strong, but not as silky smooth as a high end reel while set at a high setting
- It can be tough to fine tune the drag, because a slight turn of the knob can go from quite loose to very tight in a small turn
The Okuma sierra reel makes a great backup reel for that backcountry trip. I can barely think of a worse situation than being in the Alaska wilderness with a broken fly fishing reel and no way to repair it. At about $30 these great reels seem like a very good insurance policy.